ADRC Wales public engagement
Public engagement leads to better research
At ADRC Wales engaging with the public and our community is a key part of our work.
The ADRC Wales Public Engagement team attend many events throughout the year to promote ADRC-W and the research conducted using data. Public engagement events offer opportunities to promote the work being done by researchers, gauge the public’s opinion on ADRC-W research, and ignite collaboration opportunities.
Meet the Public Engagement Team
ADRC Wales has a dedicated Public Engagement Officer, Lynsey Cross: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynsey discovered her passion for public engagement through teaching. She went on to work at the Welsh Government anti-poverty programme Communities First, identifying health needs and addressing these by co-producing initiatives with the most deprived communities.
Lynsey’s role for ADRC Wales involves developing public engagement strategies, co-producing innovative engagement activities, coordinating a consumer panel, as well as establishing and building a public engagement network.
Who are the public?
The term general public covers a broad range of people who may have very different backgrounds, interests and opinions. There are many different groups that ADRC Wales engages with:
Working with the general public
ADRC-W works to improve and create dialogue between researchers and the general public through:
- Public consumer panel comprising 16 members to advise on, support and advocate ADRC-W work: Terms of Reference
- An ADRN Public Engagement Working Group with regional points of contact
- Involving patients, service users, carers and the general public in our research
- Providing online resources to explain and showcases the benefits of data linkage research, including 100 Ways of Using Data to Make Lives Better
- Hosting and participating in public focused workshops, seminars, meetings, events and online discussions
- Encouraging our partners to embed public engagement in their work from design through to dissemination and beyond
- Public outreach activities that promotes the field of health informatics research and encourages and supports the next generation of eHealth investigators, including schools engagement programmes
ADRC-W public engagement events
ADRC-W regularly organises public events, to generate meaningful two way conversations about our research and its impact.
- ADRC Wales public engagement training 22 June 2017
- Consumer panel 28 June 2017
- British Heart Foundation bike ride 16 July 2017
- Swansea University Science Festival 08-10 September
- British Heart Foundation Annual Conference, Swansea University 12 September 2017
- Consumer Panel 28 September
- Carmarthenshire 50+ forum event TBC
- Techniquest After Hours TBC
How to get involved
- Sign up to our public digital network to actively get involved and be informed about ADRC-W public engagement news and events
- View digital network newsletters for ADRC-W public engagement updates - first issue due Summer 2017
- Discover how ADRC-W research can help make lives better:
By finding out what members of the public think about ADRC-W research and feeding back public views into decision-making and governance processes, ADRC-W can ensure its work continues to reflect the interests and values of members of the public.