The Approvals Panel makes sure the process of granting access to sensitive, linked administrative data is fair, equitable and transparent. It assesses the projects on a number of criteria. Projects must be approved before the data custodians make the final decision on whether to share their data.
Who sits on it?
The panel consists of:
- the chair: Professor Sir Ian Diamond, Principal and Vice Chancellor, University of Aberdeen
- three representatives of data providers:
- Jane Naylor, Office for National Statistics
- Yee-Wan Yau, HM Revenue and Customs
- Steve Rose, Head of Strategic Research at Birmingham City Council
- three senior academics (with different primary research areas):
- Professor Richard Harris, Professor of Economics, Durham University
- Dr John Power, Head of Research and Information Services, Northern Ireland Assembly
- Professor Robert T Woods, Professor of Clinical Psychology of the Elderly DSDC Wales, Bangor University
- a specialist in data protection and privacy: Lynn Wyeth, Information Governance Manager, Leicester City Council
- a representative of the Network’s governing board: Andrew Garrett, Vice President, Clinical Analysis and Reporting Services, Quintiles (a clinical research organisation)
- two lay members:
- William Mehaffy
- Jen Persson
The Director of the Administrative Data Service or their nominee serve an as ex-officio member of the panel with no voting or decision-making rights.
The Panel can also refer specific questions to a group of independent lay experts who have volunteered their knowledge in specialist areas.
We have published a list of approved projects.
The Panel meets once a month to make sure there are regular opportunities for projects to be assessed for approval.
- 13 February 2017
- 14 March 2017
- 27 April 2017
- 22 May 2017
- 22 June 2017
- 25 July 2017
- 31 August 2017
- 26 September 2017
- 1 November 2017
- 28 November 2017
- 19 December 2017
We also publish the meeting minutes.
Summary information about any projects rejected by the Approvals Panel is published quarterly.Rejected Project Statistics (43Kb)